step1: eligibility
  step1b: status review
  step1c: EFC formula
  step1d: cost analysis
  step2: submit forms
  step3: process SAR
  step4: get award letter
  step5: view aid options
  step6: manage funds
Hit "Apply Now" to apply for Stafford, PLUS, Private, Home Equity and Scholarships.

Financial Aid Notes

Aid Step 1: Eligibility Requirements

To receive financial aid assistance, you must:

  • display a need for financial aid (except for unsubsidized Stafford and PLUS loans).

  • complete high school and have been awarded a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) Certificate.

  • pass a college entrance exam approved by the U.S. Department of Education, and/or meet other standards your state may establish.

    link to view state requirements:

  • be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student working toward a degree or certificate in an eligible program.

  • be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen

  • have a valid Social Security number:
    link to obtain SSN (unless you're from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau)

    get your Social Security Number:

  • make satisfactory academic progress.

  • sign a statement on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) certifying that you will use federal student aid only for educational purposes:

    see our note on FAFSA form submission:
    see Financial Aid Step 2

    begin your FAFSA submission:
    click to open FAFSA links and information

  • sign a statement on the FAFSA certifying that you are not in default on a federal student loan and that you do not owe money back on a federal student grant.

  • register with the Selective Service (for young men age 18 and over) - you can register online:

    Note from US Department of Education:

    The Higher Education Act of 1965 as amended (HEA) suspends aid eligibility for students who have been convicted under federal or state law of the sale or possession of drugs. If you have a conviction(s) for these offenses, call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) or go to the FAFSA on the Web site, click on "Before Beginning A FAFSA" in the left column, then click on "Drug Worksheet" to find out how this law applies to you.

    Even if you are ineligible for federal aid, you should complete the FAFSA because you may be eligible for nonfederal aid from states and private institutions. If you regain eligibility during the award year, notify your financial aid administrator immediately. If you are convicted of a drug-related offense after you submit the FAFSA, you might lose eligibility for federal student aid, and you might be liable for returning any financial aid you received during a period of ineligibility.

    Download the US Department of Education Student Aid Booklet for more detailed information


privacy statement | contact us | site map | resources | community college search

Copyright 2003-09 Community College Financing Guide

member: nBuy Associates
all rights reserved

BBBOnLine Reliability Seal